Sunday, April 11, 2010

Aeneid, Book 4: Lines 347-364

Summary: Aeneas is actually being pretty reasonable about the fact that they both have kingdoms they should be ruling. Even his dead pops is haunting him at night telling him to get off his butt and go to Italy already. Even after Aeneas points out how there are flippin' gods riding him on the subject Dido still doesn't buy it.



347- hic amor, haec patria est. si te Karthaginis arces
348- Phoenissam Libycaeque aspectus detinet urbis,
349- quae tandem Ausonia Teucros considere terra
350- inuidia est? et nos fas extera quaerere regna.
351- me patris Anchisae, quotiens umentibus umbris
352- nox operit terras quotiens astra ignea surgunt,

347- That is my love, that is my country. If the city of Carthage
348- is keeping you, Phoenician one, if the prospect of the cities of Libya are keeping you,
349- what objection is there that the Trojans settle in Italian
350- lands? And it is divine will that we are to see another land.
351- The ghost of my father, Achinses, warns me in my sleep,
352- as often as the night covers the land with its damp shadows


353- admonet in somnis et turbida terret imago;
354- me puer Ascanius capitisque iniuria cari,
355- quem regno Hesperiae fraudo et fatalibus aruis.
356- nunc etiam interpres divum Ioue missus ab ipso
357- (testor utrumque caput) celeris mandata per auras
358- detulit: ipse deum manifesto in lumine vidi

353- and as often as fiery stars rise over the troubled lands.
354- The thought of my boy Ascanius's dear head and the injustice
355- it would be to defraud him of a Hesperian kingdom and destined fields.
356- Now a divine messenger has also brought commands, sent by Jove, himself,
357- (I swear by your name and your head) I will carry out your command swiftly through the wind.
358- I, myself, see gods in clear daylight


359- intrantem muros vocemque his auribus hausi.
360- desine meque tuis incendere teque querelis;
361- Italian non sponte sequor.'
362- Talia dicentem iamdudum auersa tuetur
363- huc illuc voluens oculos totumque pererrat
364- luminibus tacitis et sic accensa profatur:

359- coming within the walls and their voices swallowed by ear.
360- You stop burning me with your complaints,
361- I do not seek Italy by my own choice.'
362- Dido, with him saying such things, viewed him with her face turned,
363- here and there, rolling her eyes and looking at him from head to toe
364- with silent eyes and thus spoke out with fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment