Sunday, April 11, 2010

Aeneid, Book 4: Lines 325-344

Summary: Dido is all angsty becase Aeneas is ditching her to go fulfill his destiny. Oh, she also wants him to sleep with her (again maybe?) 'cause she wants a child that looks like him (I wonder what that means). On top of that, she thinks they're married. Aeneas is pretty much like "Well, you know, Jupiter and fate told me to go do this so I have to. What? Do you think even if fate wasn't making me do this I would still stick around? Nah, bro, I gotta' go rebuild my city. Oh, by the way, I'm destined to get a hotter wife, but thanks for being my one night stand."



325- "quid moror? an mea Pygmalion dum moenia frater
326- destruat aut captam ducat Gaetulus Iarbas?
327- saltem si qua mihi de te suscepta fuisset
328- anti fugam suboles, si quis mihi paruulus aula
329- luderet Aeneas, qui te tamen ore referret,
330- non equidem omino capta ac deserta viderer."

325-" I am delaying my death, why? Is it until my brother Pygmalion
326- destroys my walls or is it until the Gaetulian Iarbas leads me away as a captive?
327- If only you had let us conceive any offspring
328- before you left, if a tiny Aeneas
329- were left to play in my palace, who would recall you in appearance,
330- I would not feel entirely betrayed and all would seem well. "


331-Dixerat. ille Iuois monitis imota tenebat
332-lumina et obnixus curam sub corde premebat
333-tandem pauca refert: "ego te, quae plurima fando
334-enumerare vales, numquam, regina, negabo
335-promeritam, nec me meminisse pigebat Elissae
336-dum memor ipse mei, dum spiritus hos regit artus

331- Said Dido. That one (Aeneas), heeding the warnings of unmovable Jupiter,
332- fixed his gaze with great effort, and pressed the anxiety under his heart.
333- Finally, he responded with a few words: "I know, Queen who is able to recall many things by telling me,
334- I will never deny that you deserve so much from me,
335- nor will I be sorry to remember Dido(Elissae)
336- as long as I, myself, am mindful, as long as my spirit rules this body.


337- pro re pauca loquar. neque ego hanc abscondere furto
338- speravi (ne finge!) fugam, nec coniugis umquam
339- praetendi taedas aut haec in foedera veni
340- me si fata meis paterentur ducere vitam
341- auspiciis et sponte mea componere curas
342- urbem Troianam primum dulcisque meorum

337- Regarding this, let me say a little: And I have not anything to hide in hope
338-(don't even think that!), nor in secret, never at anytime had I made pretenses
339- in marriage or enter into a marriage contract.
340- If fate would allow me to lead my life
341- of my own choices and to handle my own worries of my own free will.
342- I would still be cherishing the city Troy,
relishing the sweet remains of my city.

343- reliquias colerem, Priami tecta alta manerent
344- et recidiva manu posuissem Pergama victis


343- The noble palace of Priam would be remaining
344- and I would rebuild a second Troy by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment