Sunday, April 11, 2010

Aeneid, Book 4: Lines 304-324

*Note: I'm trying to keep these as close to the Latin as possible. Some grammar won't make sense or it just might be the fact that I suck. Posting these really for myself but whatever, you can use them.

Summary: Dido is still complaining.



304-tandem his Aenean compellat vocibus ultro:
305-'dissimulare etiam sperasti, perfide, tantum
306- posse nefas tacitusque mea decedere terra?
307- nec te noster amor nec te data dextera quondam
308- nec moritura tenet crudeli funere Dido?
309- quin etiam hiberno moliri sidere classem

304- Finally, Dido first addressed Aeneas with these words:
305- "O treacherous one, to depart from my land did you hope
306- to pretend that such a crime was even possible?
307- Do you hold neither your love nor your right hands
308- once given in marriage nor Dido, about to die in cruel fire?
309- O cruelty, why are these labours of such high class in the season of winter

310- et mediis properas Aquilonibus ire per altum,
311- crudelis? quid, si non arua aliena domosque
312- ignotas peteres, et Troia antiqua maneret,
313- Troia per undosum peteretur classibus aequor
314- mene fugis? per ego has lacrimas dextramque tuam te
315- (quando aliud mihi iam miserae nihil ipsa reliqui)

310- and why are they to go through the sea during stormy winds,
311- cruelty? What, if you were not seeking unknown homes
312- and foreign lands, and ancient Troy were still standing,
313- would Troy be sought out through wavy seas?
314- Do you flee? I beg of you, by these tears and your right hand
315- (since there is nothing else to which I can appeal)

316- per conubia nostra, per inceptos hymenaeos,
317- si bene quid de te merui, fuit aut tibi quicquam
318- dulce meum, miserere domus labentis et istam,
319- oro, si quis adhuc precibus locus, exue mentem.
320- te propter Libycae gentes Nomadumque tyranni
321- odere, infensi Tyrii; te propter eundem

316- by our marriage, by our wedding ceremony,
317- if I have deserved anything good from you,
318- or if there is anything sweet in me to you, take pity on this falling house,
319- if there is any seat for prayers, set aside plans in that direction.
320-Because of you, the races of Libya and Nomadic rulers
321-hate me; the Trojans are hated; on the account of you

322- exstinctus pudor et, qua sola sidera adibam,
323- fama prior. cui me moribundam deseris hospes
324- (hoc solum nomen quoniam de coniuge restat)?

322- my modesty is extinguished and, by which alone I was to gain
323- immortality, my reputation as well. For whom are you deserting soon to die me, guest
324- (Since this name alone remains left of your wife)?

No comments:

Post a Comment